Balzekas Museum of Lithuanian Culture
Balzekas Museum of Lithuanian Culture Events
Balzekas Museum of Lithuanian Culture Information
When to Go:
This lesser known museum is fun to visit anytime
- Learn about Lithuania's rich and colorful history at the Balzekas Museum Chicago
- Explore the multiple exhibitions on offer at the Balzekas Museum of Lithuanian Culture
- Experience workshops and regular events held at the Balzekas Museum Chicago
6500 S. Pulaski
Chicago, IL 60629
User Average ReviewOverall:
Based on 0 reviews
0.0 out of 5 Stars
0.0% recommended it
Balzekas Museum of Lithuanian Culture Reviews
There are currently no reviews!
Be the first to write a review!
Balzekas Museum of Lithuanian Culture Photos
Balzekas Museum of Lithuanian Culture Hotel
*Some images shown above are not actual photos from the attraction, but category representations. Visit the attraction's web site for actual photos.
Balzekas Museum of Lithuanian Culture
Do you agree?
The Fascinating and Educational Balzekas Museum of Lithuanian Culture
- Adult Price$5.00
- Child Price$2.00
- General Price$5.00
- Senior Price$4.00
- Student Price$4.00
Features: The life-long dream of Stanley Balzekas, Jr., to preserve for posterity the wealth of material pertaining to Lithuania's history and culture, was realized when he opened the Balzekas Museum of Lithuanian Culture in a "two-flat" building next to his auto dealership on Archer Avenue in Chicago on June 22, 1966. His personal collection of art, armor and rare maps was donated and placed on display. Still the president of the museum's board of directors, Stanley Balzekas has seen his museum grow to a major repository of publications, cultural artifacts, and arts not only of Lithuania, but also of the Lithuanian immigrants to the United States and the generations that followed them. The Museum quickly outgrew the available space on Archer Avenue and moved to its present location on Pulaski Road in 1986.
Departments include the Museum's main exhibit "Lithuania Through the Ages", which portrays the development of Lithuanian history and culture from prehistory to the present; fine artwork by Lithuanian and Lithuanian-American artists; a collection of more than 200 antiquariun (16th to 19th centuries) and 700 modern maps of Lithuania and Eastern Europe and atlases; the Numismatic Collection of Lithuanian coins, currencies, tokens, medals, military orders and decorations in the United States; the Children's Museum of Immigrant History; and much more.
Why We Go: The Lithuanian Museum Chicago provides a fascinating insight into the history and culture of Lithuania and the Lithuanian immigrant experience. Whether you are of Lithuanian heritage or just a history buff, this Chicago museum is worth a visit.
- Great Value: With the priciest ticket at the Balzekas Museum Chicago being only $5 per person, this is a top value Chicago museum.
- Variety: With amazing artifacts and a large collection of art work on display, there is much to see at the Lithuanian Museum Chicago.
- Educational: There is so much to learn and experience at this Chicago museum, you will leave feeling inspired and educated.
Inside Knowledge: The Lithuanian Museum Chicago often holds seasonal events, such as egg decorating at Easter - which is great for all the family!
Do's and Don'ts:
- Do Take Your Time: This small museum is full to the brim with artifacts and information about Lithuanian Culture in Chicago, so make sure you take your time to take everything in.
- Do Plan Ahead: The Lithuanian Museum Chicago is located in a non touristy district, so you may want to plan how to get there and back.
- Don't Forget to Check their Calendar: The Lithuanian Museum Chicago often holds cultural events, so you may want to check their online calendar before you go.Don't Forget the Gift Shop: The Lithuanian Museum Chicago has a great gift shop with many fascinating books and other gifts available.
- Don't Bring Your Pet: The Lithuanian Museum Chicago is a strictly no pet zone.