Buckingham Fountain Events
Buckingham Fountain Information
When to Go:
Year-Round, Especially between April and October
The fountain is decorated with an array of lights during the holiday season.
- The Chicago Fountain Buckingham is at the center of Grant Park.
- This Chicago Fountain is among the most well known Windy City landmarks.
- The Buckingham Fountain was built as an allegorical representation of Lake Michigan.
Congress Parkway & Columbus Drive
Chicago, IL 60605
User Average ReviewOverall:
Based on 2 reviews
3.7 out of 5 Stars
100.0% recommended it
Buckingham Fountain Reviews
Buckingham Fountain Photos
Buckingham Fountain Hotel
*Some images shown above are not actual photos from the attraction, but category representations. Visit the attraction's web site for actual photos.
Do you agree?
Landmark Chicago Fountain: Chicago Fountain Buckingham
This activity is FREE!
Features: The Buckingham Fountain, located in Grant Park, is one of Chicago's most popular attractions and one of the largest fountains in the world. This particular fountain in Chicago was opened in May of 1927. The four sea horses you see on its sides represent the four states that touch Lake Michigan: Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Michigan.
The fountain operates from approximately April 1 to November 1 each year and runs from 10:00 am to 11:00 pm each day. Every hour on the hour for 20 minutes the fountain produces a major water display and the center jet shoots 150 feet into the air. At dusk, the fountain's hourly major water display is accompanied by lights and music.
The fountain's water capacity is 1.5 million gallons. Depending on wind conditions, major displays use approximately 14,100 gallons of recirculated water per minute conveyed through 134 jets. The fountain contains 820 lights.
Why We Go: Natives and visitors alike flock to this iconic city landmark for various reasons. Some are passing through the park, others stop by for the nightly light show, and still more simply come to admire the phenomenal architecture. Come out to the Chicago Fountain Buckingham and enjoy! Not mention, admission is always free.
- Light Show: Nightly, the Chicago Fountain Buckingham illuminates the city with a beautiful light show.
- Iconic Chicago Landmark: This Chicago Fountain was inspired by the Latona fountain at Versailles.
- Close to Other Windy City Attractions: Centrally located, the Chicago Fountain Buckingham sits in close proximity to a variety of other significant Chicago highlights.
Inside Knowledge: A major Chicago icon, The Buckingham Fountain was built in the Rococo style and is features tiers like those of a wedding cake and is known for being an allegorical representation of Lake Michigan.
Do's and Don'ts:
- Do Read Up on City History: The Chicago Fountain Buckingham is one of the richest historical landmarks in the Windy City.
- Do Checkout The Underground Tours: Through August of 2011, every Friday at 12pm, you can take a tour of the underground of this Chicago Fountain.
- Don't Forget Your Camera: This beautiful fountain in Chicago is quite the architectural and hydraolic feat. You're going to want to capture your experience here.
- Don't Worry About Parking: The Van Buren Metra Station is located extremely close to the Chicago Fountain Buckingham.