City Gallery at the Historic Water Tower
City Gallery at the Historic Water Tower Events
City Gallery at the Historic Water Tower Information
Monday - Saturday, 10 am - 6:30 pm; Sunday 10 am - 5 pm
When to Go:
Public street parking is limited. Nearby parking facilities are available.
- The City Gallery at the Historic Water Tower is located inside the old Chicago Water Tower, which is the second-oldest water tower in the United States.
- The water tower became infamous as it was one of the few buildings to survive the Great Chicago Fire of 1871.
- The Chicago Water Tower City Gallery showcases Chicago-themed photography exhibits of local artists.
806 N Michigan Ave
Chicago, IL 60611
User Average ReviewOverall:
Based on 1 review
4.0 out of 5 Stars
100.0% recommended it
City Gallery at the Historic Water Tower Reviews
City Gallery at the Historic Water Tower Photos
City Gallery at the Historic Water Tower Hotel
City Gallery at the Historic Water Tower
Do you agree?
Enjoy Exhibits by Local Artists at the City Gallery
This activity is FREE!
Features: The City Gallery at the Historic Water Tower is located inside the old Chicago Water Tower on Michigan Avenue. It presents exhibitions of Chicago-themed photographs from local Chicago artists. The City Gallery at Chicago Water Tower is staffed by representatives of the Chicago Office of Tourism and curated by the Chicago Public Art Program. On March 20, 1999, the Water Tower was transformed into the city's official photography gallery to feature and support local photographers. The inaugural exhibition, Skrebneski Photographs Chefs of Chicago, was a tribute to the quality and diversity of Chicago's culinary heritage. A visit to the City Gallery is perfect for history buffs or anyone on a budget, and its central location along the Magnificent Mile makes it a great place to take a break from shopping and freely enjoy some local art. Check the website for current exhibits at the City Gallery at Chicago Water Tower.
Why We Go: The City Gallery at the Historic Water Tower is the best place to glimpse a bit of old Chicago architecture, as well as view amazing photography of local artists. This is a great place to bring your family. The City Gallery at Chicago Water Tower is centrally located on Chicago's famous Magnificent Mile, known for shopping.
- History: The Chicago Water Tower City Gallery is a great place to get an idea of the architectural style of old Chicago from the 19th century. Your kids will love the castle-like appeal of the old water tower. Plus the gallery's changing exhibits allows you to see a local artists' perspectives of Chicago.
- It's FREE: The City Gallery at the Historic Water Tower is free to visitors, so if you have family and are on a budget, come here to enjoy some great art and a famous pinnacle in Chicago's history.
- Shopping: After you have finished perusing the City Gallery at Historic Water Tower Chicago, you can stroll along the Magnificent Mile checking out this very popular shopping grounds in the heart of Chicago.
Inside Knowledge: Oscar Wilde once described the old Water Tower as, "a castellated monstrosity with pepper boxes stuck all over it." The architecture of the old Water Tower also inspired the design of many White Castle restaurant buildings.
Do's and Don'ts:
- Do Check Out the Shopping: Being a located right in the middle of the Magnificent Mile, the City Gallery at the Historic Water Tower is the perfect starting place to wander through shops at this famous shopping district. Enjoy the Water Tower for a while, check out the art gallery inside, and then head to the Water Tower mall.
- Do Make a Day of it: The City Gallery at Chicago Water Tower is not only a must see when visiting Chicago, but with its location, you should plan to spend a good chunk of your day there taking photos, shopping, and eating lunch. There is even a little park around the Water Tower, and it is perfect to sit, relax and people watch, or let you kids burn off some energy.
- Don't Forget Your Camera: When you come to the City Gallery at the Historic Water Tower, you must bring your camera. This unique building is the perfect place for a photo op with your family. The juxtaposition of its location surrounded by contemporary skyscrapers makes for an interesting picture.
- Don't Forget Your Kids: The City Gallery at Chicago Water Tower is great for kids. They will be in awe of the the castle-like building before them, and will enjoy the art gallery with you.