Daley Civic Center
Daley Civic Center Events
Daley Civic Center Information
Daily, 9am- 5pm
When to Go:
Visitors must go through security at the entrance of the Daley Civic Center
- The Daley Civic Center is the iconic Chicago convention center and plaza in The Loop of Downtown Chicago.
- The Chicago Daley Civic Center opened in 1966, and is home to the famous Chicago Christmas tree each year.
- Family friendly Chicago events and farmers' markets take place regularly at the Daley Civic Center Chicago.
- The Daley Center Chicago is famous for its role in the 1980 classic, The Blues Brothers.
50 West Washington St
Chicago, IL 60602
User Average ReviewOverall:
Based on 1 review
4.0 out of 5 Stars
100.0% recommended it
Daley Civic Center Reviews
Daley Civic Center Photos
Daley Civic Center Hotel
*Some images shown above are not actual photos from the attraction, but category representations. Visit the attraction's web site for actual photos.
Daley Civic Center
Do you agree?
Famous Chicago Building and Plaza in The Loop
This activity is FREE!
Features: The Daley Center, built in 1965, was originally known as the Chicago Civic Center, but is now named for the late mayor Richard J. Daley. It is the headquarters of the Cook County court system. Its main attraction is "The Picasso", the sculpture by Pablo Picasso just outside the doors to the Daley Center, which was installed in 1967.
In the warm summer months, the Daley Center Plaza features concerts, presentations, political rallies and a weekly farmers' market. The building was the first modern architectural style to be built in the city. The building has 31 floors, is 648 feet high and was designated a Chicago landmark in 2002.
Why We Go: While locals may find themselves in the Daley Civic Center for unexciting reasons - jury duty, the DMV, etc. - Chicago tourists can experience their many Chicago events and attractions throughout the year.
- The Picasso Statue: Added to the Chicago Daley Center in 1967, this iconic Chicago statue was built by the famous Pablo Picasso, and is one of the most popular Chicago attractions to get your picture taken in front of. After all, how many times in your life do you get to see an authentic Picasso piece in person?
- Holiday Fun: Much like Rockefeller Center in NYC, the Daley Civic Center is the place to be during the Holidays. From their iconic Christmas tree lighting, to their spooky haunted house around Halloween, kids and adults alike will be impressed by the holiday spirit at this popular family attraction in Chicago.
- Weekly Famers' Markets: From May through September each year, the Daley Center Chicago Plaza hosts a popular farmers' market with some of the best local vendors in Chicago. Get a feel for the "real" Chicago at these popular seasonal events in Chicago.
Inside Knowledge: If the Daley Center Chicago looks familiar to you, then you're probably a fan of The Blues Brothers. This popular Chicago landmark was prominently featured in this 1980 film, and has also been seen in a number of other famous movies over the years, including The Fugitive and The Dark Night.
Do's and Don'ts:
- Do Pack Lightly: Visitors of this famous Chicago building are required to go through security, so pack lightly when you visit the Chicago Daley Center to ensure a speedy entry.
- Do Check Out the Events: Throughout the year, the Daley Center Chicago hosts cultural events, Chicago concerts, political rallies and more. Check the Chicago Traveler Events schedule for updates on the best Chicago events at the Daley Civic Center.
- Don't Miss the Christmas Market: Throughout December, the Daley Civic Center transforms into a Christmas market with an area for your kids to meet Santa, and their fun decorations and massive Christmas tree are sure to put you in the Holiday spirit.
- Don't Bring Your Camera Inside: Flash photography is prohibited inside the Chicago Daley Civic Center, though you'll want to be sure to bring your camera for the outside attractions at this Downtown Chicago Plaza.