Shops at the Mart
Shops at the Mart Events
Shops at the Mart Information
Mon.- Fri. 9am- 6pm & Sat. 10am- 3pm
When to Go:
Floors 1- 2 open to the general public.
- The Shops at the Mart are a collection of Chicago boutique shops on the first two floors of the historic Merchandise Mart Chicago.
- Built in 1930, Merchandise Mart Chicago is considered the world's largest commercial building.
- Merchandise Mart shopping Chicago IL includes luxury interior design stores, and there are a number of smaller retail shops at Merchandise Mart as well.
222 Merchandise Mart Plaza
Chicago, IL 60654
User Average ReviewOverall:
Based on 1 review
3.0 out of 5 Stars
0.0% recommended it
Shops at the Mart Reviews
Shops at the Mart Photos
Shops at the Mart Hotel
*Some images shown above are not actual photos from the attraction, but category representations. Visit the attraction's web site for actual photos.
Shops at the Mart
Do you agree?
Historic Chicago Landmark is Home to Two Floors of Retail Shops
This activity is FREE!
Features: The Merchandise Mart, constructed in 1930, is the world’s largest commercial building, largest wholesale design center and one of Chicago’s premier international business locations. Encompassing 4.2 million square feet, The Mart spans two entire city blocks and rises 25 stories. The Mart is the largest trade center in the world and welcomes more than three million visitors each year. Sixty percent of the building’s area is devoted to wholesale showrooms. As a design center, The Merchandise Mart hosts 16 major trade shows, co-produces 15 more and also houses more than 300 conferences, seminars and special events a year.
The design centers are not open to the public (other than tours on Fridays). However, the first two floors contain the Shops at the Mart, which consists of over 50 stores, restaurants and services which are open to the public. Retailers include A&G Clothing & Accessories, Radio Shack, B. Dalton bookstore, KB Toys and more.
Shops at the Mart also feature full-service restaurants and a food court, such as Armando's, Au Bon Pain, New Orleans BBQ Grill, The Great Steak & Potato Company, Starbucks, Mrs. Field's Cookies, Gourmet Market and more. Services include a beauty salon, one-hour photo, travel agency, post office, currency exchange and more. Additionally, WKQX-FM Q101 radio station is located here on the second floor.
Why We Go: The Shops at the Mart feature the best collection of interior design shops in Chicago, and are a must for Chicago travelers looking for home renovation inspiration in Downtown Chicago.
- Art Deco Landmark: This Art Deco masterpiece in the Near North Side is a Chicago landmark so grand in scale that it needs its own zip code. No, really - The Mart has its own zip code.
- Great Chicago Shopping: Shops at the Merchandise Mart include its diverse selection of LuxeHome boutique shops, which offer chic, cutting edge ideas for your home living space and kitchen.
- Trade Shows: It's no wonder that the world's largest trade center puts on some killer Chicago trade shows. Specializing in Interior Design shows and other architecturally-related interests, Merchandise Mart Chicago is a popular event space in Downtown Chicago.
Inside Knowledge: Amazingly, the Shops at the Mart are LEED certified, meaning this famous Chicago attraction is a leader when it comes to green-friendly sustainable building operation. Also, the Kennedy family owned this legendary building that houses the Shops at Merchandise Mart for 50 years before selling in 1998.
Do's and Don'ts:
- Do Stay Nearby: Chicago hotels close to the Shops at Merchandise Mart include the 3-star Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza, which is conveniently close for business travelers working the Chicago trade shows at this famous Chicago attraction Downtown.
- Do Allow Time to Explore: After all, you can't expect to see the world's largest commercial building in an hour, can you? Stick to the first two floors, and don't rush through the Shops at the Mart Chicago.
- Don't Forget Your Camera: Between the Art Deco exterior and sprawling interior, you'll want to make sure your camera has plenty of battery power when you tour the Shops at Merchandise Mart.
- Don't Go On Sundays: The Shops at the Mart are closed on Sundays, and are open for a limited number of hours on Saturdays.