The Merchandise Mart
The Merchandise Mart Information
- Retail shops located on the first two floors of the Merchandise Mart in Chicago.
- The Merchandise Mart Chicago is so big it has it its own individual zip code.
- Explore the numerous fashion boutiques and apparel markets at the Merchandise Mart Monday- Friday.
222 Merchandise Mart Plz
Chicago, IL 60654
Merchandise Mart (Brown Line, Purple Line); Clark/lake (subway) (Blue Line); Clark/lake (elevated) (Brown Line, Green Line, Orange Line, Pink Line, Purple Line)
Hours of Operation:
Showrooms: Monday-Friday: 9am-5pm, Boutiques: Monday-Friday: 9am-5pm, Saturdays: 10am-3pm
Retail Shops on First and Second Floors
The Merchandise Mart Events
User Average ReviewOverall:
Based on 1 review
100.0% recommended it
The Merchandise Mart Reviews
The Merchandise Mart
Do you agree?
The Merchandise Mart is One of the World's Largest Buildings and Has Hundreds of Fashion Stores and Home Decor Showrooms
$$$$ - High End
Features: The Merchandise Mart, constructed in 1930, is the world’s largest commercial building, largest wholesale design center and one of Chicago’s premier international business locations. Encompassing 4.2 million square feet, The Mart spans two entire city blocks and rises 25 stories. The Mart is the largest trade center in the world and welcomes more than three million visitors each year. Sixty percent of the building’s area is devoted to wholesale showrooms. As a design center, Merchandise Mart Chicago hosts 16 major trade shows, co-produces 15 more and also houses more than 300 conferences, seminars and special events a year. In addition to the showrooms, The Merchandise Mart in Chicago features a variety of retail shops, services, and restaurants.
Tours At The Mart are available to the general public on Friday of each week at 1:00 p.m. The 90-minute walking tour includes a brief history of Chicago Merchandise Mart and a guided visit to the showroom floors that represent the Commercial, Residential, Kitchen & Bath, Decorative Accessories and Gift industries.
Why We Go: This historical building for a longtime was the largest building in the world and has always been a Chicago landmark. Rich in history and gorgeous to behold, The Merchandise Mart is a must see.
- Architectural Splendor: Chicago Merchandise Mart has to be seen to be believed, the sheer size of it is impressive alone but its lavish interior decoration makes it truly worth visiting.
- Shoppers Delight: With multiple boutiques and fashion showrooms, Merchandise Mart Chicago is a fashionista's paradise.
- Great Food: Featuring a generously sized food court and several upmarket cafes, Chicago Merchandise Mart has all you need for when hunger strikes.
Inside Knowledge: Spectacular events such as fashion shows and seminars are regularly showcased at Chicago Merchandise Mart, so be sure to look at their online calendar in advance before you visit.
Do's and Don'ts:
- Do Take a Tour: Tours of The Merchandise Mart are available and are a great way to get to grips with this massive building!
- Do Take Your Time: This building didn't used to be the largest building in the world for nothing! Boasting over 4,000,000 square feet, this huge building takes a while to fully explore.
- Don't Forget Your Camera: Not only is The Merchandise Mart huge, but it also is extravagantly decorated so you will want to take pictures!
- Don't Forget Your Wallet: With so many boutiques and cafes on-site, you may just be tempted into making a purchase or two.
- Famous Store
- Near Restaurants
- Premier Location