The Birthday Party
The Birthday Party Information
- Harold Pinter's infamous and darkly menancing comedy, The Birthday Party, is being revived at the Steppenwolf Theatre and will be playing there through May 19.
- Originally premiering in London in 1958, The Birthday Party takes place at a mundane boarding house in the British seaside, where a piano player named Stanley and other residents lead seemingly ordinary lives - which are soon turned upside down by the arrival of a couple of strangers on Stanley's birthday.
- One of the most bracing of Chicago shows playing right now, seeing the Birthday Party before its short run is over is a must; order Chicago show tickets online today!
Playing Thru May 19, 2013
Upstairs Theatre at Steppenwolf Theatre
Chicago, Illinois 60614
*Some images shown above are not actual photos from the show, but category representations. Visit the show's web site for actual photos.
User Average ReviewOverall:
Based on 0 reviews
0.0% recommended it
The Birthday Party Reviews
There are currently no reviews!
Be the first to write a review!
There is no data in this table.
The Birthday Party
Do you agree?
If you enjoy well-acted, tension-filled evenings at the theater, this production is a must-see." -Centerstage
Cost of a low price ticket
$ - $25 and under
$$ - $26-50
$$$ - $50-100
$$$$- $100 and above
Check out other shows playing now!
Features: Set in a British seaside town in the 1950's, Stanley and the other residents at a boardhouse eke out a mediocre existence until two threatening strangers arrive just in time for Stanley's birthday party, tearing all of the guests lives asunder. Originally debuting in 1958 to a negative reception, the Birthday Party has become one of Harold Pinter's most well-known plays, and seeing a great revival like this is one of the best things to do in Chicago.
Why We Go: The Birthday Party is a groundbreaking play that is now considered a modern classic. Excellent acting, thought-provoking dialogue and a suspenseful story make this one of the Chicago shows that is most worth-seeing while it's here.
- Superb Acting: John Mahoney, who is most well-known as one of the stars of Frasier but is an acclaimed character actor, leads this experienced cast that does a great job taking on Pinter's challenging material. Some of them recognizable names attached to this project are bound to make it a popular draw, so be sure to order your Chicago show tickets online ahead of time.
- Tension-Driven Plot: A sense of foreboding looms over this play, and theatre-goers at the Steppenwolf will be on the edge of their seat to see how it all turns out in these Chicago shows.
- Modern Classic: Harold Pinter's The Birthday Party is considered a contemporary classic, making this one of the Chicago shows worth checking out.
Inside Knowledge: When this play first premiered in 1958, it was considered a huge failure. Audiences left the London Hammersmith Theatre mid-show, and the production closed after just eight shows. Critics and audiences eventually turned their opinions around, and this is now one of the most-frequently performed and beloved plays in Nobel Laureate winner Pinter's catalog.