Drink up Chicago, it's time for Craft Beer Week 2013!
Chicago Craft Beer Week runs from May 16 - 26, 2013.
To celebrate, many bars will be hosting special events, from beer dinners to tap takeovers. Here's some of the celebrations going on this year during Chicago's Craft Beer week, followed by a few of our favorite craft beer bars to grab a brew at in honor of the 11-day celebrations. Of course, don't miss the chance to throw a few back at our favorite Chicago breweries!
The list will be updated as more events are announced, feel free to submit your own by emailing us or sending out on our Facebook, Twitter or G+.
Chicago Craft Beer Week Events 2013
May 11th - American Beer Classic - No, it's not technically during beer week, but still worth mentioning
Soldier Field - Sample hundreds of unique brews from your favorite American brewers this Saturday in Soldier Field.
- Live music
- Educational sessions where beer lovers can learn more about home brewing and creating a world-class beer, from the brewers they love.
- Tours of Soldier Field - check out the visitor's locker room, the Skyline Suites and the Colonnades. Tours are complimentary witha VIP ticket, and available for purchase on the day of the event.
- Take home souvenir sample cups to add to your collection.
May 19th - Chambana Craft Beer Pubcrawl
8 craft beer bars in Champaign/Urbana join together to celebrate American Craft Beer Week on Sunday May 19th with the 3rd annual craft beer pubcrawl. Each bar will host a rare special release beer from one of the country's premier craft breweries. Pubcrawl participants will travel from bar to bar and with their commemorative glass enjoy the beer.
This year's participating bars are; Crane Alley, Black Dog, Mike n Molly,s Dublin O Neil's, Seven Saints, Radio Maria, Quality, and The Blind Pig. Participant are able to sign up at Crane Alley, Mike n Molly's, and Radio Maria. Cost of the glass is $5, there is a commemorative t-shirt that is optional that is for sale as well.
May 22 - Battle of the Breweries Tap Takeover & Arcade Tournament
Emporium Arcade Bar is pairing up with the best craft breweries and holding a classic arcade tournament. Revolution Brewing and Half Acre Beer Company will be hosting a "Battle of the Breweries" tap takeover and bracketed arcade tournament at Emporium Arcade Bar. The tournament will begin on Tuesday, 5/21 at 5pm and will conclude on Wednesday, 5/22. Prizes and awards will be supplied by each of the participating breweries, so don't miss this! The list of participating breweries is indeed epic and includes the likes of Solemn Oath, Haymarket, Metropolitan, Begyle, Spiteful, and Three Floyds, as well as Rev and Half Acre. Each brewery will recruit a team of twelve competitors, each proficient in one of the following games:
Asteroids, Burgertime, Donkey Kong, Frogger, Galaga, Ms. Pacman, Pacman, Paperboy, Q Bert, Space Invaders, Super Mario Bros., Tapper
May 23 - Celebrating Women of Craft Beer
A beer tasting and screening of "The Love of Beer," a documentary on the rise of women in the beer industry. Women behind some of the biggest breweries in Chicago will be in attendence - Goose Island, Two Brothers, Rock Bottom, Lagunitas, Metropolitan, Greenbush, 4 Paws Brewery and more.
Special beers tapped throughout the night, including a special beer these ladies brewed themselves.
$1 per pint will be donated to the Chicago Chapter of "Dress for Success"
Open to the public, no ticket required.
May 24th - Half Acre Beer releases The Grotto
An Extra Pale Ale, "light in color but high on crushability"
May 31st - Kegs for Kidneys: Raising A Glass & Raising Funds
Fischman Liquors & Tavern
6pm - 10pm
This event will feature some of the favorite and some of the rare craft beer from several local and national craft breweries.
Each tickets gets you a wrist band and tasting glass to keep forever.
All proceeds go to help the National Kidney Foundation continue improving the health and well-being of individuals and families affected by kidney disease and increasing the availability of all organs for transplantation.
Where to celebrate Chicago Craft Beer Week 2013.
- Headquarters Beercade - Vintage video and arcade games, an impressive selection of craft beers on draft and in cans and food delivered from great restaurants all over.
- Beer Bistro North - The go-to for sporting events throughout the year, and for Craft Beer Week 2013. They have over 100 craft beers every night, and daily specials like $3 burgers on Tuesdays, $3 craft beer cans on Wednesdays, and 25 cent wings on Sundays.
- The Long Room - Offering everything from PBR to the finest Belgium beers ever made, this is clearly a bar with something for everyone. Especially for those who like photobooths and beer gardens.
- Northdown - With a rotating craft beer selection, and a menu of comfort foods made from scratch, with ingredients grown nearby, this is a great place to celebrate craft beer week. Definitely come hungry for their pork fries or almond butter pie.
- Norse Bar - Board games, a Nintendo Wii and a very diverse beer selection. 50+ beers in bottles and cans, plus 12 more on tap. Friendly bartenders, nice bathrooms and pretty moderate prices.
- Cigars and Stripes - Great pizzas. Awesome BBQ sauces. Craft Beer. Can't beat it.