Chicago is one of those places you could visit a thousand times and still find things to do and enjoy unique and interesting experiences. If you don’t live locally, you probably flew in, and are now wondering how to get around in Chicago. Don’t miss out on any of the attractions that make the Windy City one of a kind, and use this guide to transportation in Chicago.
How to get around Chicago
- CTA: The easiest way to get around in Chicago is to use the amazing CTA system (Chicago Transit Authority). Bus and train routes go all over Chicago, and most stops are no more than a few blocks apart - so it’s really easy to use.
- Taxi services: For the best taxi services in the area use our transportation guide, found here: http://www.chicagotraveler.com/chicago_transportation.htm
- Bike Around: Summer is on its way, and Chicagoland will soon be warm! The best way to get around in the summer is by bike. Bobby’s Bike Hike rents bikes by the hour, so get out and explore the Windy City while getting from place to place! Bobby’s Bike Hike also offers great tours, check them out: http://www.chicagotraveler.com/tour-chicago-by-bike.htm
How to get from the airport to downtown Chicago
The L: Whether you flew into Chicago O’Hare, or Midway, the ‘L’ is probably the cheapest way to get from the airport to downtown Chicago (unless you are up for a major walk). Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) provides the cheapest ($5 or less) options with extensive lines.
- Train from Chicago O’Hare: The Blue Line ‘L’ provides direct service to O’Hare Airport. The station is on the lower level concourse, and also connects terminals 1, 2, and 3. The Blue Line goes from O’Hare to downtown, and through the west side of the city to Oak Park. (40 minutes to downtown).
- Train from Chicago Midway: The Orange Line ‘L’ provides travelers with transportation to downtown from Chicago Midway Airport. The Orange Line goes from Midway Airport to downtown Chicago, and only costs $2.25. (25 minutes to downtown).
Car Service: The easiest way to get around in Chicago is by taxi. Though streets can get a bit congested at times, taxi service from either Midway or O’Hare to downtown Chicago is the way to go. From classy town cars to stretch limos, arrive to the Windy City in style.
- M&M Limousine Services: M&M Limousine offers eloquent transportation in anything from a luxury sedan to a 22 person stretch SUV. Plus, during March and April enjoy special discounts. Reserve online and get a 5% discount!
- American Coach Car: Another great option for airport transportation is American Coach Car. Rates for O’Hare start at $65, and Midway to downtown Chicago starts at $60. Enjoy impeccable service, easy pick up, and professional drivers to get you where you need to go.