While there are so many famous Chicago attractions and things to do to keep you occupied while you're in town, there are also plenty of Chicago events that won't be there every time you go - like when you're in Chicago for Labor Day 2012! Many Americans associate Labor Day with the end of summer - at least the end of summer as we know it. After this day, the kids go back to school, we start to prepare for the colder weather and all the holidays to come and (possibly worst of all) we can no longer wear all our trendy white pants.
If you decide that you want to spend Labor Day 2012 in Chicago (and you should definitely decide this, obviously) there are going to be plenty of outdoor (or indoor) festivals and Chicago events to celebrate the end of a great summer vacation season.
- Chicago Jazz Festival is something you may remember from our last blog, but it's worth mentioning twice. The 34th annual Chicago Jazz Festival is a free two-day festival with some of the best jazz musicians in the world performing throughout the weekend! The shows will take place at the Chicago Cultural Center, Millennium Park and Grant Park over three days, and every show is free of charge and fun for every age!
- The North Coast Music Festival is one of the best music festivals around for music lovers of all ages. While both this and the Chicago Jazz Festival are family friendly, the music featured at the North Coast Music Festival covers just about every genre out there. From the sweet melodies of the 60's bands to the loud bass of the techno DJs, there's something here for everyone! This is a 3-day festival in Union Park and tickets are on sale now!
- The Taste of Melrose Park is in its 31st year, with over 70 foods that you can get for $3 or less! With prices this low your eyes might prove bigger than your stomach, but you only live once, right? Luckily, the end of summer also means the end of bikini season, so we can pig out a little more. There will be plenty of kids activities, as well as bands and comedians performing on three seperate stages. Sunday night will end the festivities with a great fireworks display, because what's the end of summer without a little sparkle in the sky?
- Speaking of fireworks, there will be another fireworks show at the Navy Pier on Saturday night! Of course the Navy Pier will have lots going on this weekend, as they always do. There are over 50 acres of things to do at this historic Chicago landmark.
- Celebrating it's 33rd year serving up delicious Polish and American treats, the Taste of Polonia is happening once again at Jefferson Park this Labor Day weekend in Chicago 2012. 5 stages of live performances, kid friendly things to do and of course, so many food and drink vendors will be scattered throughout this indoor/outdoor Chicago festival! Tickets are generally around $5 but any child under 12 gets in for free!
- The Last Fling at Naperville is sending off summer with performances by Ides of March, Criag Morgan, Pat Benatar and Blue Oyster Cult and 7th Heaven. There will be food for all, a beer garden for the grownups and rides and games to keep the little ones happy. Annual contests and cook offs keep the competitive edge alive and fun from Friday to Monday!
Labor Day Concerts in Chicago
Hall and Oates will be at the Ravinia Pavilion on Saturday, September 1 as well. Which one will you choose?!
Toby Keith and Brantley Cooper will be at the First Midwest Bank Ampitheatre on Sunday, September 2.
Take Me Out to the Ball Game
On Friday and Saturday, the Cubs will be playing the San Fransisco Giants.
On Labor Day Monday, the Chicago White Sox are taking on the Minnesota Twins. The White Sox are working hard while the rest of us get the day off, so the least you can do is go support them!
Many of the 23 Chicago beaches will close after Labor Day, so take a dip, take a hike, catch a fish, ride your bike - or do any of all the popular things to do at the beach while you still can.
It's nice to get away for the weekend while we celebrate, what most of us consider, the end of summer. Chicago is a beautiful city to explore this time of year. You won't be sweating bullets like you did two months ago, but you can still show off the shimmery tan on your legs that you've acquired these past few months before they turn pastey white, hidden under your wool and boots. Labor Day weekend in Chicago 2012 is filled with fun things to do, so gather up the family and book your Chicago hotel room near all the fun today! Join us on Facebook, Twitter and Google+ to stay tuned to all the best upcoming events, deals and Chicago news!