By The Way, Meet Vera Stark
By The Way, Meet Vera Stark Information
- By The Way, Meet Vera Stark is one of the funniest Chicago shows playing right now. See it at the Goodman Theatre through June 2, 2013.
- Set in the 1930, Vera Stark is an African American actress, trying to make it big - but the cultural climate of the time limits her ability to showcase her true talent.
- Find Chicago show tickets for this play and all the other Chicago shows playing now and in the near future at ChicagoTraveler.com!
April 27 - June 2, 2013
170 N. Dearborn
Chicago, Illinois 60601
*Some images shown above are not actual photos from the show, but category representations. Visit the show's web site for actual photos.
User Average ReviewOverall:
Based on 0 reviews
0.0% recommended it
By The Way, Meet Vera Stark Reviews
There are currently no reviews!
Be the first to write a review!
Not what you were looking for?
Search by artist, venue, or event!
By The Way, Meet Vera Stark
Do you agree?
The Wall Street Journal calls this show a "sharp-toothed comedy."
Cost of a low price ticket
$ - $25 and under
$$ - $26-50
$$$ - $50-100
$$$$- $100 and above
Check out other shows playing now!
Features: By The Way, Meet Vera Stark chronicles the struggles of the title character to break into the film business in the 1930's as an African-American actress. By flashing forward to the 21st century, the audience learns through a series of flashbacks and discussions that Vera eventually did become a success, but only by portraying stereotypical one-dimensional characters, usually limited to the roles of maids and slaves. Poignant, sharply funny and an interesting look at race relations in America, By The Way, Meet Vera Stark is not to be missed.
Why We Go: Darkly funny yet thought-provoking, By The Way, Meet Vera Stark features excellent acting in the intimate Goodman Theater making it one of the can't miss Chicago shows.
- Great Story: The story of Vera Stark is a fascinating one that explores the difficulties of trying to make it in the film business as an African-American in the 1930's. The play asks probing questions about at what price success is worth it, but manages to be extremely entertaining and amusing rather than lecturing.
- Intimate Environment: The Goodman Theatre is a great theatre in the heart of Downtown Chicago, and it's the perfect venue to enjoy this hilarious play one night.
- Critically Acclaimed: This is one of the Chicago shows that you're not going to want to miss this season, and no one says that this satire is "not to be missed" better than Vogue magazine. The Wall Street Journal calls this a "sharp-toothed comedy."
Inside Knowledge: Tamberla Perry plays Vera Stark, but she is also a character in TV shows like "Chicago Fire" and "Boss," a WGN for the Illinois Drawings and was recognized in the Chicago Magazine's "50 Most Beautiful Chicagoans" in 2011.
Do's and Don'ts:
- Do Encounter the Artist: On May 5th, The Goodman Theatre Artist Encounters will bring together the audience and artists for a behind-the-scenes look at the playmaking process. Join Lynn Nottage (playwrite) and Chuck Smith (director) for an hour of invigorating conversation!
- Do Buy Your Tickets Online: Tickets for the show are available at the box office, but you'll find the best prices and the best seats in the house if you get your Chicago show tickets online. Don't run the risk of missing the play to a sold-out performance!
- Don't Come For Just a Show: There are so many great things to do in Chicago right next door to the Goodman Theatre, so come this way early or stay after the play to explore the area. Nearby attractions include the Art Institute of Chicago, Millennium Park, Willis Tower, the Field Museum and more! Find deals for Chicago attractions so that you can do even more while you're here!
- Don't Be Late: The show is full of excitement and laughs from the very beginning, so you're not going to want to miss a single second! Check out all the great transportation in Chicago to help get you here on time if you're not staying nearby.