Many people travel to Chicago in the winter to get away for the holidays with their family, looking for fun things to do to keep the kids entertained, see the decorations of the big city and explore all the Chicago sights dusted in snow. Who can blame you? This is a great time of year to visit Chicago! But when you're not here with the kids, you probably don't want to be around everyone else's while they're screaming about Santa and buzzing around on their candy-cane highs.
So let's talk about where you should go and what you should do to get a little romance in on your Chicago vacation! Whether you're looking for a romantic night out for a special occasion or the most romantic trip since your honeymoon, Chicago Traveler can tell you all the places to take your sweetheart in Chicago!
Let's start with all the most romantic spots in Chicago, then we'll work our way up to planning your whole romantic getaway!
The Most Romantic Things to do in Chicago
See a Show Chicago: There are tons of great shows playing in Chicago this season.
- I Love Lucy - Live Onstage
- The Book Of Mormon
- The Mother****** with the Hat
- Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Ice Skating: Ice skating in Millennium Park can be just as romantic as you see it in the movies, and the rink opens on November 16! The rest of the ice skating rinks city-wide open on November 23!
Book a couples massage at the beautiful and relaxing VALEO Spa at the JW Marriott. The Spa for Two special going on right now is the perfect way to revitalize your mind and body on vacation, especially at these great rates.
See Buckingham Fountain at night. This is a great place for romantic photo ops when you're in town, but it's a famous Chicago landmark that you're not going to want to miss. Sorry, they do turn the fountain off in October, but kindly enough, they deck the fountain with holiday lights that shine just as beautiful as the flowing water in the springtime!
Carriage Rides in Downtown Chicago - The Romance by the Mile package at MileNorth hotel can help you plan a romantic vacation with a 45 minute horse and carriage ride, champagnes, homemade sweets and 2 hand-blown glass Tiffany flutes to take home with you. You'll definitely remember this romantic vacation forever!
Navy Pier Ferris Wheel may seem a little cliche, but it's another Chicago attraction that you have to experience at least once. Especially if you're the type that has to experience everything once. The atmosphere is much more romantic at night, mostly due to lack of screaming children, but the views are also beautiful around this time.
Enjoy a nice view together. Head to Willis Tower for a beautiful view of the city. Go to the John Hancock building for a beautiful view of the water.
Romantic Chicago Restaurants
- Geja's Cafe - What says romance like fondue? This romantic restaurant in Lincoln Park is said to beat the Melting Pot any day of the week. This is one of the best places to come on a date in Chicago for your fondue liking. There’s a 4-course Premier Fondue Dinner that we highly recommend if you’re going all out tonight. Start with a cheese fondue appetizer, salad, assorted fresh vegetables, eight classic dipping sauces, flaming chocolate dessert fondue and Geja's freshly brewed coffee. Pair the meal with a bottle (or two) of wine, and you’ve got a happy woman on your hands.
- Prosecco is an Italian restaurant in the heart of River North with an accommodating staff, delicious food and a wine list for the price. This restaurant has been named by OpenTable as one of the Top 50 Most Romantic Restaurants in the US. There are a lot of restaurants in Chicago alone, but in the entire country? That’s quite a feat.
- Le Colonial is an upscale French-Vietnamese restaurant. Yes, usually restaurants are one or the other, but this one gives you both. Lucky for everyone who walks through the door. You’re going to need a reservation or you’ll end up looking like a jerk when you show up at 6pm hungry and in a romantic mood and you’re told that you have to wait 4 hours. Sorry Charlie, you should have listened to us!
- Tango Sur is an Argentine steakhouse in Lakeview that we also like to recommend. It’s BYOB with no corkage fee! This place says romantic, but without the whopping check that makes you take a second look (no matter how much you don't want to).
Where should you stay on a Romantic Getaway in Chicago?
MileNorth Hotel: Nothing says romance quite like all the amenities at this beautiful Chicago hotel!
Fairmont Chicago Romantic Escape: Located right by Millennium Park, just minutes from the ice skating rink, the Fairmont also offers a romance package that includes a luxurious room, romantic breakfast, late check out (5pm) and even a weekender kit to spice up your stay!
Best Western River North has a Romantic Getaway Package with luxurious rooms, sparkling wine (or cider), a box of chocolates and a late check out time. Book a late flight and enjoy every minute of your romantic getaway that you can. Many of the best romantic hotels in Chicago offer fantastic chances to make this a trip you'll never forget!