Chicago Traveler Blog
What's Happening on Magnificent Mile Right Now?
Alright, we know that saying "what's hot" died in the 90's along with spikey bleach blonde hair (unfortunately) but, despite the drop in temperatures, things never cool down on Magnificent Mile in Chicago. There's always something happening, and right now, with Halloween in a few short weeks, the holidays right around the corner after that, and of course plenty of shopping to be done, all the folks that run the Magnificent Mile businesses have made sure that there is plenty going on to keep you entertained, well-fed, and always coming back for more!
The great thing about Chicago, is that no matter how many times you come, you can get a new experience every time! Every season, every year, Chicagoans are offering something new and better than ever before! Whether you come to Chicago for the shopping, for the nightlife, for the beautiful sights and entertaining tours or to do all of it, you know that you can get it done on Mag Mile.
Here's what you can expect from Magnificent Mile in Chicago in the coming days, weeks and months! As well as some of the things worth mentioning that are always there!
Halloween Festivities on Mag Mile
- Navy Pier's Really Big Halloween Party - October 19-21, 26-28 and the 31st - Fun for all ages! There's a petting zoo, hayrides, performances by magicians, acrobats, musicians and every costumed-creep you can imagine walking around, an All-Day dance party, zombie art and costume contests, and for the first time every this year, a 500lbs pumpkin carving! On the last weekend of the event and Halloween, dress the kids up and let them trick-or-treat along the pier!
- Haunted Segway Tour - See some of the scariest parts of Chicago aboard a segway (for a quick getaway when the going gets tough perhaps)
- Haunted Tours by Seadog - Click to save 10% on Seadog's Haunted Tours all month long - See our beautiful city in a bit of a spooky light!
- Tails in the City Party and Pet Parade - October 21st - Your pooch wants to dress up for Halloween too! It's the 9th Annual party and parade! $10 to get in and all proceeds go to PAWS Chicago - the city's largest no-kill humane organization.
- 2nd Annual Murder Mystery at the Marble Palace - October 26-27 - It was so popular before they had to do it again! Get your tickets to this event at the Driehaus Museum for a good murder mystery - because what vacation is complete without a murder mystery in the making?
- Magnificent Mile Lights Festival - Starts November 17!
Get ready for all of the holiday events in Chicago soon! How excited are you?!
New On the Chicago Museum Front
Museum of Science and Industry presents Spooky Science - October 13-31 - Events and exhibits that include haunted sites, ghoulish demonstrations and more!
Art Institute of Chicago - The Steve McQueen Exhibition opens October 21, 2012 - January 6, 2013. The museums already holds the largest collection of McQueen's works in the US, but will be expanding the collection and adding a few never before seen pieces. Be sure to check it out!
Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago - The Roman and Erwan Bouroullec: Bivouac exhibition, "two of the most exciting and innovative designers working today" according to the museum's website, opens October 20 - January 20, 2013
You can save all season long on your admission to each museum by check out Chicago Go Card passes like the Museum Pass, which saves you 25% on admission to 4 museums, good for 30 days! Or check out the free museum days!
It's Theatre Season near Mag Mile
If you haven't gotten a chance to check out all the shows playing on Broadway in Chicago, we can give you the quick rundown
- Kinky Boots is playing until November 4!
- I Love Lucy Live on Stage is in Chicago until November 11
- Freud's Last Session also ends November 11
- A Christmas Carol opens at the Goodman Theatre November 11 (tickets coming soon!)
- Les Miserables opens November 14 at the Cadillac Palace Theatre
- Potted Potter - The Harry Potter parody - an entertaining comedy, opens November 13 at the Chicago Broadway Playhouse.
New to Magnificent Mile!
All of the recently opened and desperately awaited openings
- Christian Louboutin opening in Esquire Theater (Fall 2012, definitely by December)
- A few restaurant openings that you might (or should!) be excited about!
- Jellyfish is new - and you will love it!
- Hash House a Go Go - San Diego loves it. Vegas loves it. Chicago deserves to get some breakfast love too! They opened in July, so we're still welcoming them to the neighborhood.
- Here's all the shopping that Racked Chicago thinks you might enjoy this season.
- Coach was remodeled - you can once again get your bags on Michigan Ave!
When you're not Busy Exploring...
The hottest places to stay in Mag Mile? Yep, we got those too!
MileNorth Hotel - This is one of the best hotels near Magnificent Mile that you could possible stay in, and while they may offer the best in luxury accommodations for Chicago Travelers with any need, they also offer great Chicago hotel deals to make staying right in the middle of all the action a bit more affordable.
- Book in Advance and save 25%
- Book by November 30 and save 20% off your stay
- They also offer tons of fun packages so that you can do more on your trip, like the shopping package, American Girl Place deal or do less with the romance package
- If you're a Chicago local expecting guests this season, book the Gift of Peace to put your loved ones up for less
Sofitel Chicago Water Tower is catering to the Chicago business Travelers this season, with rooms as low as $285 a night! You might be there on business, but when you stay near Mag Mile, you can fill all your free time with fun at all of the nearby Chicago attractions!
JW Marriott Chicago is one of the best new luxury hotels in Chicago. Whether you're traveling with the kids, planning a couples getaway with you and your sweety, or heading to Chicago for some retail therapy, they've got hotel packages for you!
And, guy's gotta eat right? So do all the ladies and kids. This is a great season for a Chicago Food Tour to taste all the best things Chicago has to offer!