Adler Planetarium Events
Adler Planetarium Information
Summer Hours: 9:30am-6pm daily, Regular Schedule: Mon.-Fri. 10am- 4pm, Sat.-Sun. 10am-4:30pm
When to Go:
Adler After Dark is restricted to 21 +
Roosevelt Metra Station
- The Adler Planetarium Chicago offers educational fun for the entire family.
- The Chicago Planetarium is the only museum with two full size planetarium theaters.
- The Planetarium in Chicago provides patrons with an after dark option for 21 and up only with special musical guests and drinks.
1300 S Lake Shore Dr
Chicago, IL 60605
User Average ReviewOverall:
Based on 1 review
3.5 out of 5 Stars
100.0% recommended it
Adler Planetarium Reviews
Adler Planetarium Photos
Adler Planetarium Hotel
Do you agree?
BOOK NOW to Save 37% and skip the line with the Chicago Pass to the City!
- Adult Price$28.00
- Child Price$22.00
Features: The Adler Planetarium Chicago is located on Lake Shore Drive at Chiago's Museum Campus. Opened in 1930 as the first planetarium in the western hemisphere, the Adler fuels the imagination of its visitor will all new exhibits, state-of-the-art computer technology and the world's first StarRider Theater, while showcasing a renonwed collection of historical astronomy artifacts.
The Adler is home to more than 35,000 square feet of exhibits. From scale models of the Solar System, to ancient astronomical instruments, to interactive adventures, Adler's exhibit galleries provides a passageway for you to explore the universe. The Adler's historical collections of astronomical instruments and rare books are among the finest in the world.
The Adler Planetarium Chicago is the only museum in the world with two full-size planetarium theaters. Since 1930, the wonder of the stars has been visible in the historic Sky Theater. Powered by brand new Digistar 3TM simulator technology, the StarRider Theater is a completely digital, virtual outer space environment. The famous Zeiss Planetarium projector is capable of accurately reproducing the movement of every aspect of the night sky.
Why We Go: Enjoy a day amongst the stars at the Adler Planetarium Chicago. This family friendly museum offers educational entertainment for all visitors old and young alike.
- Family Friendly: The Adler Planetarium Chicago offers a fun and educational experience for the whole family.
- Close to Public Transit: Leave the car at home when heading to the Chicago Adler Planetarium and take the Metra to the Roosevelt Station.
- Renowned Collection of Artifacts: The Chicago Planetarium is home to one of the greatest astronomical artifact collections.
Inside Knowledge: The Planetarium in Chicago offers mini science exploration activities that are quick 10 minute lessons. Learn some interesting astronomical facts at these small activity carts.
Do's and Don'ts:
- Do Take the Bus/Train: Leave the car at home for this museum trip. The Chicago Planetarium is located within close proximity to public transit.
- Do Meet an Adler Astronomer: Weekday afternoons from 2pm-3pm and weekends from 1pm-3pm, the Chicago Adler Planetarium hosts astronomy conversations where you can learn about current projects from Adler astronomers and scientists.
- Don't Miss the Doane Observatory: When weather permits, the Doane is open at the Chicago Planetarium for observing with its 20-inch diameter telescope.
- Don't Miss Museum Special Events: The Adler Planetarium Chicago offers a summer camp for kids from mid June to August as well as a 21 and up event called Adler After Dark.
- Do try a package deal with the Chicago Go Card, like the pass to the city package.