Robie House Events
Robie House Information
11am - 4pm
When to Go:
Always Popular and Busy
- See Frank Lloyd Wright's architectural masterpiece the Robie House.
- Learn why the Frederick C Robie House changed architecture and design forever.
- Choose from a self-guided or guided tour when visiting the Wright Robie House Chicago.
5757 S. Woodlawn Street
User Average ReviewOverall:
Based on 0 reviews
0.0 out of 5 Stars
0.0% recommended it
Robie House Reviews
There are currently no reviews!
Be the first to write a review!
Robie House Photos
Robie House Hotel
Do you agree?
BOOK NOW to save on admission with the Go Chicago Card!
- Adult Price$15.00
- Child Price$12.00
- Senior Price$12.00
Features: More than one hundred years ago, Frank Lloyd Wright sparked an architectural revolution with the opening of his Oak Park studio. The Robie House, built on the University of Chicago campus in 1910, is one of two museum sites maintained by The Frank Lloyd Wright Preservation Trust. Through its restoration and preservation efforts and many programs, the not-for-profit Preservation Trust presents Wright's structures, as well as his architectural and artistic principles, to a worldwide audience. The Robie House features bold horizontal lines, daring cantilevers, stretches of art glass windows and an open floor plan -- the Robie House inspired an architectural revolution.
The Robie House stands in stark contrast to the University's Collegiate Gothic structures and is unrivaled today in its architectural drama and adventure--unexpectedly changing with each angle of vision. Upon its completion, shocked neighbors likened the home's long, low design to a steamship, with its two rectangles, or vessels, abutting each other and visually separating the living areas from the utility spaces. The broad central chimney serves a unifying function, locking the pieces into place.
In January 1997, the Preservation Trust assumed management, restoration and interpretation of the structure, which was added to the National Trust's collection of 19 historic sites. The Preservation Trust has planned a ten-year timetable for the restoration of the Robie House, which will remain open to the public during all phases.
Why We Go: The gorgeous Robie House is a momentous and historical example of 20th century architecture that can now be appreciated via a guided or self-guided tour.
- Educational: Learn how this building changed architecture and design forever at the Robie House.
- Great Location: Located in the heart of University of Chicago's campus, there is much to do and see after you have toured the Robie House Chicago.
- Useful Tour Options: The Wright Robie House Chicago allows you to choose between a guided or self-guided tour, so you have the choice to pick your ideal type of sightseeing tour.
Inside Knowledge: Prospective students and parents will be happy to know that the Robie House is located within the University of Chicago, so why not stop by and take a tour while on your visit?
Do's and Don'ts:
- Do Take Your Time: Especially when on the self-guided tour, take your time to take in all of the splendors and architectural delights the historical Wright Robie House has to offer.
- Do Book Ahead: The self-guided tours at the Wright Robie House are only run one hour each day and sell out very quickly, so it might be a good idea to book tickets in advance.
- Don't Expect Lunch: The Robie House Chicago doesn't offer an on-site restaurant or cafe - but don't worry as the University of Chicago provides a plethora of dining options.
- Don't Ignore the Calendar: The Wright Robie House regularly hosts workshops and events, so be sure to check their online calendar before you go.