John Hancock Observatory
John Hancock Observatory Events
John Hancock Observatory Information
Daily 9am- 11pm
When to Go:
Weekday Mornings and Early Afternoons
- The John Hancock Observatory is located on the 94th floor of the famous John Hancock Center.
- The Hancock Center Chicago Observatory on the Magnificent Mile stands over 1,000 feet tall.
- The elevator ride to the 94th floor Hancock Tower Chicago Observatory lasts just 40 seconds.
- Chicago Travelers can save 37% on admission to the John Hancock Observatory (and several other top attractions) with the Chicago Pass to the City! Find out all about it here!
875 North Michigan Ave
Chicago, IL 60611
User Average ReviewOverall:
Based on 1 review
4.5 out of 5 Stars
100.0% recommended it
John Hancock Observatory Reviews
John Hancock Observatory Photos
John Hancock Observatory Hotel
*Some images shown above are not actual photos from the attraction, but category representations. Visit the attraction's web site for actual photos.
John Hancock Observatory
Do you agree?
94th Floor Observatory on the Magnificent Mile
- Adult Price$16.80
- Child Price$11.20
Features: The Hancock Observatory is located on the 94th floor of the John Hancock Building 1,000 feet above the Magnificent Mile. It is the city's only open-air skywalk. Here you'll see a 360-degree incredible view of Chicago, Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana and other parts of Illinois.
The Soundscope talking telescopes give you realistic sound effects with narration in English, French, Japanese or Spanish. Skytours provides an overview of the city with 16 stops of one to three minutes each, available in English, Spanish and German. The Observatory is also home to the History Wall, with more than 100 photos on display featuring Chicago's history. Windows on Chicago is user-friendly technology that lets you "tour" more than 80 favorite Chicago attractions. The Observatory also provides for some unique photo opportunities. A great dining option is The Cheesecake Factory, located at the lower level of the Hancock Building.
Why We Go: The amazing panoramic views of the Downtown Chicago skyline and Lake Michigan 1,000 feet high make the John Hancock Observatory one of the most popular Chicago attractions Downtown.
- Panoramic Views: From the sprawling Lake Michigan shore to the magnificent Chicago skyline, the Hancock Center Chicago Observatory showcases all of the best sites and attractions the Windy City has to offer via 360-degree floor-to-ceiling windows and an open-air walkway.
- 96th Floor Drinks: Two floors above the Hancock Tower Observatory Chicago, the 96th floor Chicago bar is a romantic Chicago rooftop lounge that provides guests with unparalleled ambiance and breath-taking views of Downtown Chicago.
- Fun for Kids: Every kid just wants to be bigger - at the John Hancock Tower Chicago, they can pretend their on top of the world! Give your kid a couple of quarters for the high-powered telescopes, and let them explore the sights of Chicago from this family friendly Chicago attraction.
Inside Knowledge: Make an afternoon out of your trip to the John Hancock Center Chicago and stop in to the Lavazza Espression Cafe on the 96th floor for a high-end Chicago cocktail and kid-friendly Chicago restaurant items.
Do's and Don'ts:
- Do Bring Your Significant Other: The unparalleled ambiance, stiff cocktails and thrilling skyline views at the John Hancock Observatory inspire a romantic evening perfect for a special occasion in Chicago.
- Do Enjoy a Sundae: Sundaes and shakes at the 96th floor cafe at the Hancock Center Chicago provide tourists with a tasty treat when they visit this stunning Chicago landmark on the Magnificent Mile. We recommend the Chicago Gelato or their signature fruit smoothies.
- Don't Forget Your Camera: With unparalleled views of the Chicago skyline and Lake Michigan surrounding you, you'll want to make sure you bring your camera to the John Hancock Observatory in Chicago.
- Don't Miss the Season Pass: Chicago locals and tourists that travel to Chicago frequently can take advantage of an annual pass for $79. The Sky High Pass is a special Chicago discount that also gives you 10% off of the Lavazza Espression Cafe menu, and pays for itself after just a handful of visits to this top Chicago tourist attraction.