Art Institute of Chicago
Art Institute of Chicago Events
Art Institute of Chicago Information
Mon.-Wed. 10:30am-5pm, Thu. 10:30am-8pm, Fri.-Sun. 10:30-5pm
When to Go:
Great For All Ages
Adams/Wabash Metra Station
Some exhibitions require special tickets.
- The Art Institute Chicago houses one of the world's largest artistic collections.
- The are a variety of on-site dining options offered at the Art Museum Chicago at which patrons can choose to dine.
- The Art Institute Chicago is located close to a variety of public transit including the Metra, El train, and bus lines.
111 S Michigan Ave
Chicago, IL 60603
User Average ReviewOverall:
Based on 2 reviews
4.3 out of 5 Stars
100.0% recommended it
Art Institute of Chicago Reviews
Art Institute of Chicago Photos
Art Institute of Chicago Hotel
Art Institute of Chicago
Do you agree?
BOOK NOW to Save 25% and skip the line with the Chicago Museum Pass!
- Adult Price$18.00
- Student Price$12.00
Features: The Art Institute Chicago holds one of the world's great art collections. The following describes just a few of the wonderful exhibits:The African & Amerindian collection includes an African exhibit of wood sculpture, masks, ceramics, furniture, textiles, and bead work from West, Central, and Southern Africa and an Amerindian collection of Meso-American and Andean ceramics, sculpture, textiles, and metalwork, as well as South American Indian ceramics and figurative art.
The Ernest R. Graham Study Center for Architectural Drawings houses a distinguished collection of more than 130,000 architectural sketches and drawings.
The European Painting collection ranges from the Middle Ages to 1900 and numbers approximately 950 works. The greatest strength of the department is in French painting of the 19th century.
The European Decorative Arts collection of 25,000 objects includes furniture, ceramics, metalwork, glass, enamels, and ivory from 1100 to the present, and sculpture from the medieval period to 1900.
The holdings of the Department of Textiles contain more than 13,000 textiles, as well as 66,000 sample swatches, ranging from 300 B.C. to the present. The collection represents Europe, Asia, Peru, Mexico, Guatemala, Indonesia, North America, and Africa, with selections in pre-Columbian textiles, European vestments, tapestries, woven silks and velvets, printed fabrics, needlework, and lace.
Considered one of the finest and most comprehensive in the world, the collection of the Department of Modern and Contemporary Art includes more than 1,500 paintings and sculptures representing every significant movement in Europe and America throughout the 20th century.
Dining options at The Art Institute Chicago include the Court Cafe and the Garden Restaurant. The Art Institute also has a museum shop.
Why We Go: The Art Museum Chicago features galleries containing nearly 1,500 paintings and sculptures spanning a good majority of significant worldly artistic movements. The collections in this museum are known to be amongst the most comprehensive in the world.
- On-Site Restaurants: After a day wandering exhibits, you're probably going to want a snack. Lucky for you, the Chicago Art Institute offers a variety of restaurants and cafes on-site.
- New Exhibits: Every few months The Art Institute Chicago opens a new exhibition covering a different time period and artist. These range from antiquities to modern times.
- Child Friendly: The Art Museum Chicago offers many exhibits that are child friendly and allow parents to enjoy themselves as well.
Inside Knowledge: The Chicago Museum of Art is only closed 3 days a year: Thanksgiving, Labor Day, and Christmas.
Do's and Don'ts:
- Do Check Out New Exhibits: Every so often the Art Museum Chicago unveils a new wing or exhibit. Come on in and explore!
- Do Your Research: It's always fun to explore a painting and then see it for yourself. Doing so at The Art Institute Chicago makes your experience of art history that much more tangible.
- Don't Take The Car: Chicago Metra stations are located close by to The Art Institute Chicago.
- Don't Forget to Check the Tour Schedule: The Art Institute Chicago offers a variety of lectures, classes, and discussions you will not want to miss during your visit.