Chicago Nightlife-Night Clubs Directory-Entertainment Guide from Chicago Traveler
From its earliest frontier days, Chicago has had some of the best nightlife in the US. "Sweet Home Chicago", birthplace of Muddy Waters' urban blues, as well as R&B's Chess Records, is still going strong, inspiring the energetic dance beat of 1980s house music as well as the groundbreaking jazz of the Art Ensemble of Chicago. Nightclubs aplenty are all over town, especially along Halsted Street, Lincoln Avenue and Clark Street on the North Side. Uptown, at the intersection of North Broadway and Lawrence, is a bit down-at-the-heel, but has half a dozen good venues. The best gay clubs congregate in the Lincoln Park area. Highbrow pursuits are also well provided for: Chicago's classical music, dance and theater are world-class.
For what's-on information, Chicagoans pick up the excellent free newspaper The Reader (copies comes out Thursday afternoon and are usually all gone by Saturday). The weekly New City and the gay and lesbian Windy City Times are good sources as well. Full listings also appear in the Friday issues of the Chicago Sun-Times and the Chicago Tribune, and Chicago magazine has useful arts and restaurant listings. The Gramaphone Ltd record store at 2663 N Clark St (tel 773/472-3683) is the best place for details of one-shot dance nights.
Whether looking for a quick drink after a long day of sightseeing or aiming to spend an evening in a swanky bar, Chicago will have the ideal drinking spot for you. Famed for its chic bars and lounges, here is just a snippet of Chicago nightlife and entertainment:
- Whiskey Sky Chicago is a premiere Chicago nightlife and entertainment destination. Located atop the incredibly trendy W Lakeshore Hotel it is revered for its phenomenal city skyline views seen from atop the 33rd floor.
- Rebar is situated within the upscale Trump International Hotel and Bar and boasts fantastic views of the Michigan River and Michigan Avenue Bridge. A sleek and chic choice, its bar is naturally well stocked and features a superb cocktail list.
- Chi Bar is a great pick when looking for nightlife in Chicago. Located at the popular Hotel Indigo Chicago it features extensive cocktail, wine and food lists. Chi Bar is a fun stop whether looking for a quick bite or just wanting to sit back and relax with the help of a few cocktails or glasses of wine.
Chicago Night Clubs
Chicago is renowned for its active and dynamic night life. And there are a multitude of Chicago nightclubs to choose from. Whether looking for techno dance clubs or hip hop hang outs, there are likely Chicago nightclubs for your taste. Read below for just a small sample of Chicago nightlife and entertainment:
- Angels and Kings is a trendy bar and night club located in the Hard Rock Hotel. Frequented by celebrities and featuring an amazing cocktail list and fully stocked bar, Angels and Kings is a definite place to see and be seen in Chicago.
- Vision Night Club is one of the most popular and largest night clubs in all of Chicago. This fashionable venue is a huge mega-club with multiple floors and rooms and regularly hosts world famous DJs. When it comes to Chicago nightclubs, Vision Night Club is one of the greatest.
- Excalibur Night Club makes for a truly unique night out. In terms of Chicago night clubs, you will unlikely find a more original and one-of-a-kind setting. Housed in a Gothic and castle-like building, a Medieval theme sets the tone for this club. Playing dance and top 40 hits, it is a popular spot for parties and group gatherings.