Guests of Chicago Food Planet Tours can combine their affection for incredible cuisine with their love of the Windy City. Tours are curated to provide access to the best food in the city through gourmet artisans who call Chicago home. Tour guides combine architectural commentary, historical facts and insights into local culture during the culinary tour experiences.
Featured foods may include Chicago classics such as popcorn, deep-dish pizza, Italian Beef, classic Chicago-style hot dogs and much more. Other tours may highlight more exotic foods such as Chinatown tours including authentic delicacies from Mandarin, Canton and Szechuan regions of China. Food tours are diverse and may be enjoyed by visitors to the city as well as locals.
Types of Food Planet Tours
Foodie tours are the name of the game for Chicago Food Planet! Walking tours are mostly outdoors, but an indoor tour may be experienced at Navy Pier. Guests can expect to do quite a bit of walking and standing throughout the 2-3 hour tours. Walking is at a moderate pace, while at least two sit-down locations are provided on each tour (for a total of 45 minutes seated). Portion samplings are full-sized, acting as lunch or dinner depending on the time of day.
Private tours may be schedule to accommodate a variety of different events.
What You’ll See on a Food Planet Tour
Landmarks and attractions change based upon the tour chosen. A tour scheduled with Chicago Food Planet may include:
- Navy Pier offers 50 acres of restaurants and bars with access to interesting culture and historical anecdotes. Get an insider’s view of the architecture, history, and culture of Chicago’s #1 attraction.
- The West Loop is Chicago’s hottest foodie neighborhood where master chefs have started a dining revolution! Restaurants and artisan hot spots provide access to Roman street food, handmade donuts, burgers, Poblano foods and more.
- Classic foods of the Second City can be found in Chicago’s Old Town and Gold Coast neighborhoods, including food such as ribs, falafel, steamed buns, toffee, tea and more.
- Chinatown food tours offer adventure and cultural immersion complete with ethnic and culinary pageantry. Guests enjoy various mouth-watering sit-down restaurants with full-portion samples. Stops may include landmarks such as Chinese Zodiac, Ping Tom Memorial Park and a Buddhist temple.
Food Planet Tours Services
Public walking tours with standard service are scheduled by Chicago Food Planet Tours. Private tours may also be booked to accommodate family celebrations, birthdays, corporate events, grand openings and more.
Food Planet Tours Timing
Chicago Food Planet Tours are offered year-round with several tours per day, more on the weekends. Some tours are only offered during warmer months. Tours typically last for 2-3 hours, but may not end exactly on time if restaurant delays are encountered.
Food Planet Tours Considerations
Information you might need prior to booking an event with Chicago Food Planet Tours:
- Experiences will happen rain-or-shine. Guests should be sure dress appropriately for the weather.
- Vegetarian substitutions may be available upon request.
- Dietary restrictions may be accommodated (allergies, diabetic, etc.) if notified in advanced.
- Groups are typically small, with up to 12-14 people per guide.
- Many tours are wheelchair accessible, but guests should ask the tour company prior to booking.
- Restrooms are typically available at restaurants during the experiences.
- Water is provided at most partner locations. Adult (21+) drink packages may be purchased as a VIP ticket option.
- Cameras are allowed and encouraged on tours.
- Tours are offered only in English. (Personal interpreters may be included on a tour when arrangements are made in advance.)
- Shopping during the experience is not allowed in order to for the group to remain on schedule. Guests are invited to return to locations after the tour in order to do any shopping.
- Tickets sell out quickly and must be purchased in advance either online or by phone. No cash is accepted.
- Tours do not end at the same place where they begin, so be sure to get information ahead of time in order to get back to your car, hotel or another location.
- Guests who are bringing infants will not need to buy a ticket for them, but should let the company know in advance that the child will be attending.
- Private and public parking is locating near the meeting points. Information will be provided after tickets are purchased.
- Children and adolescents are welcome on the tour, but younger children may not be advisable to bring because of their limited attention spans.
For other types Chicago food tours, consider Tastebud Tours.
Book a Food Planet Tours
Tickets for Chicago Food Planet Tours must be purchased in advance online. Tours often sell out. Booking with is easy online. Online bookings show weekly availability including tour times as well as revealing tours that are already sold out. Pay for your tour in advance with a credit card and receive an email with all of the information you need about where and when tours meet as well as what to expect.
Leave a Reply