Ranked as one of the best tours in the Chicago area, Inside Chicago Walking Tours offers not only exterior views but also some interior views of the most interesting pieces of architecture in the world. Enjoyable for visitors to the city as well as locals, guided tours are riddled with insider information and stories about unique areas of the city.
Secrets and hidden details are this tour company’s specialty, so that even avid historians can learn something new from their visit! Highly dynamic and engaging narration is contextual and allows for a uniquely memorable experience while fostering a deepening love for the city of Chicago.
Types of Inside Chicago Walking Tours
Depending on the tour chosen, participants of Inside Chicago’s Tours may experience:
Bring out the best highlights of America’s Second City with an interactive architectural tour. Personal tour guides provide insider access to buildings along with engaging narration that can be personalized for each group. Get an incredible look at the city from some of the tallest skyscrapers with a unique, not-so-cookie-cutter experience.
Combined Walking and Boat Tours
A little bit of the land and a little bit of the water can be sampled in this surf-and-turf type of tour. Start at the homestead of Jean-Baptiste Pointe du Sable and spend 30 minutes or so floating along the Chicago River. Then, move along to other fascinating neighborhoods, grab a ride on the “L” train back to The Loop for a look at the architecture, and then finish the tour at Millennium Park.
Nothing compares to the beauty of seeing Chicago lit up for the evening. Enjoy secret places from which to listen to live music in Millennium Park and then enjoy the fireworks off of Navy Pier.
Private and Group Tours
Booking a private group tour allows for access to additional tours that are not available to the public, including ideas such as cathedral tours. Art deco focus, gangster tour, the creation of the Melting Pot of Chicago, and much more. Tours can be customized for family reunions, couples, corporate outings and other groups that are large or small.
What You’ll See on a Inside Chicago Walking Tour
Inside Chicago tours will differ based on the chosen booking, but some of the sights taken in on tours may include:
- Buildings within The Loop such as art deco lobbies and colorful stained-glass mosaics
- Early designs and inspirations by Frank Lloyd Wright
- A view from the “L” train or a boat ride down the Chicago River
- Millennium Park and Cloud Gate (“The Bean”)
- World-famous architecture and secret views from inside buildings
- Riverwalk and the Magnificent Mile
- Evening views that include the Navy Pier fireworks
- River North and Cathedral District
Inside Chicago Walking Tours Services
Inside Chicago provides public walking tours (some options are combined with a boat tour) throughout the city, with narration from tour guides.
Inside Chicago Walking Tours Timing
Tours typically last from 2-3 hours and are scheduled seven days a week with several tours per day throughout the tourist season. Some tours are scheduled year-round while others are seasonal.
Inside Chicago Walking Tours Considerations
What you may need to know about Inside Chicago Walking Tours:
- Each tour typically lasts approximately two hours and covers about 1 ½ miles of walking distance at a leisurely pace with many stops along the way.
- Children under the age of 6 may join in for free.
- Children ages 6-10 may book at a discounted rate.
- Seniors (65 or older) may qualify for a special discounted rate.
- Tours run rain-or-shine—guests should dress appropriately for the weather.
- Tour starting points are provided after booking. They are all located within the historical center of they city (River North and the Loop), easily accessible from most hotels.
- Advance purchase of tickets is required.
- Bathroom stops may be accommodated throughout the tour as needed.
- Tours are generally limited to 20 people so that everyone can hear and enjoy the experience.
- Guests should arrive at the meeting place 10 minutes prior to the starting time.
- Tours do not end where they begin, but the ending is always a close distance from the starting point.
- Parking is recommended in lots or garages, as meters often have a 2-hour time limit. Discounted parking may be available by using Spot Hero.
- Cell phone use during the tour is not recommended.
- Cameras and photos are not only allowed but encouraged.
- Gratuities are not expected but are happily received, based on quality of service.
- Most tour routes are wheelchair accessible and do not present major obstacles. Check the website for specific details of routes that might not be able to accommodate wheelchairs.
- Guests are responsible to bring their own water bottles as needed.
Book a Inside Chicago Walking Tour
Tickets for Inside Chicago Walking Tours must be purchased in advance online. Tours often sell out. Booking is easy online. Online bookings show weekly availability including tour times as well as revealing tours that are already sold out. Pay for your tour in advance with a credit card and receive an email with all of the information you need about where and when tours meet as well as what to expect.