Navy Pier Chicago
Navy Pier Chicago Events
Navy Pier Chicago Information
Mon-Thu, Sun 10 am - 8 pm, Fri-Sat 10 am - 10 pm
When to Go:
Fun All Year Round but Christmas lights at the Navy Pier il make it particularly spectacular
Open All Year
- The Navy Pier is Chicago's number one attraction
- The Navy Pier Chicago showcases an abundance of shops, restaurants and attractions
- During the summer the Navy Pier hosts street performers including jugglers and singers
600 East Grand Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611
User Average ReviewOverall:
Based on 3 reviews
3.6 out of 5 Stars
100.0% recommended it
Navy Pier Chicago Reviews
Navy Pier Chicago Photos
Navy Pier Chicago Hotel
*Some images shown above are not actual photos from the attraction, but category representations. Visit the attraction's web site for actual photos.
Navy Pier Chicago
Do you agree?
Navy Pier is Chicago's Top Attraction
This activity is FREE!
Features: Located on Lake Michigan, just East of Chicago’s Downtown, the Navy Pier in Chicago has been a Chicago landmark since it first opened in 1916. Originally designed as both a shipping and recreational facility, the Pier also served as a military training site during two world wars, a venue for concerts and exhibitions, and the temporary home for a once-fledgling University of Illinois’ Chicago campus. Today, Navy Pier showcases a unique collection of restaurants and shops in addition to unequaled recreational and exhibition facilities.
The Family Pavilion is anchored by the 50,000-square-foot Chicago Children’s Museum and Navy Pier’s 440-seat IMAX Theater. It is also home to 40,000 square feet of exciting restaurants and retail shops. Just beyond, visitors discover the Crystal Gardens, a 32,000-square-foot indoor botanical park, which provides a year-round center for family activity and special receptions. The South Arcade is home to numerous shops, restaurants, and attractions, including Transporter FX, Amazing Chicago, and Chicago Shakespeare Theater.
Navy Pier Park is an outdoor landscaped area which features attractions such as a permanent 150-foot-high Ferris wheel, a musical carousel, an old-fashioned swing ride and an 18-hole miniature golf course. Navy Pier Park also includes the 1,500-seat Skyline Stage, which features musical performances ranging from classical to pop, blues and jazz to eclectic, rock and reggae, as well as dance, theater, comedy and film. Dock Street runs the length of the Pier’s South Dock and is reserved for pedestrians, bicyclists and joggers. In season, four performance areas feature entertainment ranging from jugglers, mimes and stilt walkers to comedians, singers and musicians. Chicago’s dinner cruise ships continue to operate from Dock Street. And, on select summer evenings, fireworks entertain the Pier’s evening visitors.
Festival Hall serves exposition and special event needs, with more than 170,000 square feet of exhibit space, and also houses the Smith Museum of Stained Glass Windows, which is a permanent display of 150 stained glass windows housed in an 800-ft.-long series of galleries along the lower level terraces of Festival Hall. The East End of Navy Pier offers the city’s best view of the spectacular skyline and lakefront, and the the Navy Pier in Chicago is the perfect place for lunch or a sunset stroll.
Why We Go: The Navy Pier Chicago is such a tourist hot spot due to its plethora of entertainment options. This legendary destination has something for everyone and can be enjoyed night or day.
- Iconic: The historic Chicago Navy Pier was built in 1919 and has been entertaining generations ever since.
- Scenic: Set against the stunning shoreline of Lake Michigan, the Navy Pier Chicago is the perfect place to take your vacation snap shots.
- Variety: From its museums to restaurants to its famous ferris wheel - there is much to see and do at the Navy Pier Chicago.
Inside Knowledge: Navy Pier Chicago is an extremely popular attraction so in order to avoid huge crowds it is best to go on a weekday.
Do's and Don'ts:
- Do Explore: The the Navy Pier in Chicago isn't just a pier. It also features top Chicago attractions such as the Chicago Shakespeare Theater and Chicago Children's Museum, so make sure you check out all this top Chicago attraction has to offer.
- Do Stay for Dinner: There are plenty of restaurants near Navy Pier in Chicago. You can find something to satisfy any craving!
- Don't Go During the Weekend: Unless you want to wait in line for everything, the Navy Pier Chicago is best appreciated on a weekday.
- Don't Forget your Camera: The Chicago Navy Pier is the perfect spot for taking memorable vacation shots.