Accommodating groups of up to 125 guests, Seadog Chicago is not your typical boat cruise company! With daily architectural cruises, speedboat tours and thrill rides, Seadog offers exciting adventures that go far beyond the standard.
Seadog’s unique brand of excursions was introduced at Chicago’s Navy Pier in 1996 and has thrilled more than a million people ever since! A few different tour options are available and they usually run several times a day during peak season and on weekends.
Types of Seadog Cruises
Seadog offers tours for the young and the young-at-heart! Educational architectural tours are peppered with a bit of speedy fun, while the faster Lakefront and Extreme Thrill rides are perfect for those looking for a great adventure.
Try out a calm, family-friendly, architectural and landmark tour that runs along the Chicago River and Lake Michigan lakefront for up-close and personal views of some of the city’s most unique architecture and landmarks. Starting at Navy Pier, river tours will typically head through the locks down the river to Willis Tower. Plus, depending on the cruise, you can also expect a short speedboat ride on the lake!
For those with a penchant for adventure, a speed boat ride along the shoreline is best enjoyed with a playful and informative narrative. Guests can learn facts and hear stories about Navy Pier and the lakefront, then speed down to Museum Campus with the music cranked high. The Magnificent Mile gives plenty of opportunity to view interesting architecture and famous sites along the way.
Guests have hardly ever seen Chicago in the way that Seadog’s extreme thrill rides provide! These Lake Michigan adventures provides full spins at 360 degrees, clever narration, and all of the excitement of a jet-propelled ride. Guests are likely to get wet due to high speeds, full spins, and splashing.
Holiday themed and fireworks cruises may also be booked for special events throughout the summer season.
What You’ll See on a Seadog Cruise
Seadog’s Architecture tour takes visitors down the river to Willis Tower and points out other sites along the way, such as:
- Aon Center, the 3rd tallest building in Chicago
- John Hancock Building, the 4th tallest skyscraper in Chicago
- Tribune Building, the unique neo-Gothic skyscraper built in 1925
- Buckingham Fountain, one of the largest fountains in the world!
- Shedd Aquarium and other buildings in Museum Campus
Public day cruise tours and private charters are both options offered by Seadog Cruises. Seadog’s fleet has five vessels.
Seadog Cruises runs in association with Spirit of Chicago and Odyssey Cruises, which offer calmer dinner cruises in an elegant fashion.
Seadog Cruises Timing
Morning and afternoon cruises are scheduled daily and some special evening cruises are available. Seadog Cruises’ season typically begins in mid-to-late April and runs all the way through the end of October. The Extreme Thrill season may be shorter because guests tend to get, which means that warmer weather is required.
Seadog Cruises Considerations
Answers to some of the questions you might be wondering about before booking a Seadog Cruise:
- Children under the age of 2 are free with an online reservation.
- Children ages 3-12 receive lower rates.
- Children ages 12 or under must be accompanied by an adult.
- Extreme Thrill Ride guests must be at least 48” tall in order to participate.
- US Military members should inquire about a discount.
- Dogs are welcome and may cruise for free—leashes are required.
- Lakefront tours are BYOB. Guests should feel free to bring their own cocktails, drinks or snacks to enjoy along the water. (No glass of any kind, please.)
- Extreme Thrill Ride guests are likely to get wet—guests should be sure to wear appropriate clothing.
- Not recommended for guests who are pregnant or who have conditions related to the back, neck or heart.
- Tours leave from Navy Pier’s Dock Street (600 E Grand Ave). Seadog Speedboat access is directly below the Ferris Wheel and across from the Grand Staircase.
- Avoid bringing any unnecessary bags on board as they are subject to screening and search in accordance with US Coast Guard regulations.
- No smoking is allowed on board Seadog vessels.
- Vessels are accessible for most standard manual wheelchairs.
- Restrooms are located on all vessels.
- It is recommended that passengers arrive at least 30 minutes early.
- Cancellations due to inclement weather may be rescheduled or refunded.
Book a Seadog Cruise
Tickets for Seadog Cruises should be purchased in advance online. Tours often sell out. Booking is easy online. Online bookings show weekly availability including tour times as well as revealing tours that are already sold out. Pay for your tour in advance with a credit card and receive an email with all of the information you need about where and when tours meet as well as what to expect.