State Street Events
State Street Information
Hours vary by store
When to Go:
May be more crowded during the holiday season.
- Epic Chicago shopping happens on State Street.
- Enjoy a day of family fun on State Street Chicago.
- State Street Chicago IL is among Chicago's greatest historical landmarks.
1 N. State St.
Chicago, IL 60602
User Average ReviewOverall:
Based on 2 reviews
3.5 out of 5 Stars
100.0% recommended it
State Street Reviews
State Street Photos
State Street Hotel
*Some images shown above are not actual photos from the attraction, but category representations. Visit the attraction's web site for actual photos.
Do you agree?
State Street: Shopping, Dining, and Historical Landmark All In One!
This activity is FREE!
Features: State Street is Chicago's "main street," located in the very heart of the city. For 165 years, it's been the unparalleled retail and entertainment hub of the Midwest. The 1922 hit song "Chicago" gave the street its famous nickname: "That Great Street," where they do things they don't do on Broadway!
Historic anchors Marshal Field's (now Macy's) and Carson Pirie Scott have been through the ups and downs of State Street. After a slump in the 1970's, State Street was closed to automobiles and the sidewalks were widened in an effort to revitalize the area. The plan was not successful, but now that State Street is again open to automobile traffic and has a multi-million dollar face-lift, the businesses are again thriving.
State Street is not only a shopping, dining and entertainment attraction, but also an historical walking tour. Points of interest include the Chicago Theater, Macy's at Randolph and State, the Reliance Building at 32 N. State, the Chicago Building at State and Madison, the Harold Washington Public Library at State and Congress, and more.
Dining in the greater State Street area has as much history as its architecture with such favorites as the Walnut Room in Macy's, which was originally the first department store tea room; Berghoff Restaurant, a long-time popular German establishment; Trader Vic's in the Palmer House Hilton; and Billy Goat Tavern, known for its cheeseburgers.
Why We Go: Many head over to State Street Chicago in order to do a great deal of shopping and enjoy a walk through an urban historical landmark.
- Top Chicago Shopping: Enjoy shopping on State Street Chicago with a variety of retailers.
- Chicago History Lesson: Literally walk through history as you wander down State Street. It's one of Chicago's main roads to shop and dine on.
- Chicago Landmark: State Street Chicago IL is a historic Chicago landmark with a great deal of shopping, dining, and other fun Windy City attractions for all to enjoy.
Inside Knowledge: Chicago State Street shoppingis located close to a variety of public transit access points. So whether you need to catch a bus or train, you'll be set.
Do's and Don'ts:
- Do Bring Your Walking Shoes: State Street is a long stretch with a ton of fun shopping and dining. Start walking!
- Do Your Research: It's always fun to have history come alive. Read up on the historical significance of State Street and what was there. Your experience will be all the more rich when you meander.
- Don't Worry About Parking: Take public transit to State Street Chicago IL and leave the car at home.
- Don't Forget Your Friends: Grab a group for a historical tour down this amazing street for the day. Have fun wandering up and down State Street!