Field Museum Chicago
Field Museum Chicago Events
Field Museum Chicago Information
Daily, 9am- 5pm
When to Go:
Weekday Mornings and Early Afternoons
18th St Metra
Open every day of the year except Christmas
- The Field Museum in Chicago is one of the most renowned natural history museums in the United States.
- Permanent exhibits at the Field Science Museum Chicago include an exhibition on dinosaurs, Native Americans, and there are dozens of complex dioramas in this popular Chicago museum.
- The Chicago Field Museum has a collection of more than 20 million different artifacts and specimens, only a handful of which are on display at any given time.
1400 South Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, IL 60605
User Average ReviewOverall:
Based on 2 reviews
3.8 out of 5 Stars
100.0% recommended it
Field Museum Chicago Reviews
Field Museum Chicago Photos
Field Museum Chicago Hotel
*Some images shown above are not actual photos from the attraction, but category representations. Visit the attraction's web site for actual photos.
Field Museum Chicago
Do you agree?
BOOK NOW to Save 37% and skip the line with the Chicago Pass to the City!
- Adult Price$15.00
- Child Price$10.00
- Senior Price$12.00
- Student Price$12.00
Features: The Field Museum is located at Chicago's Museum Campus. It was incorporated in 1893 as the Columbian Museum of Chicago with its purpose the "accumulation and dissemination of knowledge, and the preservation and exhibition of objects illustrating art, archaeology, science and history." In 1905, the Museum's name was changed to Field Museum of Natural History to honor the Museum's first major benefactor, Marshall Field, and to better reflect its focus on the natural sciences.
The Field Museum was founded to house the biological and anthropological collections assembled for the World's Columbian Exposition of 1893. These objects form the core of the Museum's collections which have grown through world-wide expeditions, exchange, purchase, and gifts to more than twenty million specimens. The collections form the foundation of the Museum's exhibition, research and education programs, which are further informed by a world-class natural history library of more than 250,000 volumes.
The Museum's permanent exhibits include topics such as bird habitats, African culture, animal biology, sea mammals, gems, fossils, eskimos, Native American cultures, and much, much more. Check the Museum's website for current temporary exhibits. You won't want to miss everyone's favorite, Sue, the world's largest, most complete, and best preserved Tyrannosaurus rex.
Why We Go: The Field Museum in Chicago is top family friendly Chicago attraction that will entertain and inform kids and adults alike, and their comprehensive collection of specimens make it one of the most prestigious museums in the US.
- Sue the T-Rex: "Sue" is the world's most complete T-Rex at 80%, and is a favorite Chicago attraction at the Science Museum in Chicago.
- Revolving Exhibitions: New exhibitions on a frequent basis keep the Field Science Museum Chicago fresh even for those who have been to this popular Chicago museum multiple times. Past exhibitions at the Field Museum in Chicago include the evolution of the horse, a mythical animals exhibition, and a fascinating exhibit on gold.
- Great for Kids: The Chicago Field Museum is filled with hands-on exhibitions directed at kids, and their Family Play Lab gives kids the chance to burn some energy in this South Side Chicago museum.
Inside Knowledge: There are a number of convenient Chicago dining options at the Field Museum in Chicago, including the Corner Bakery which serves hearty sandwiches at cheap prices, as well as a McDonald's Restaurant on-site.
Do's and Don'ts:
- Do Give it a Few Hours: Give yourself a few hours to walk around the Field Science Museum Chicago - and even then you still won't see everything at this famous natural history museum in Chicago.
- Do Bring Your Camera: Impress your friends with dozens of photos of taxidermy animals in lifelike dioramas, and enjoy a photo-op with the extensive dinosaur collection at the Field Science Museum Chicago.
- Don't Miss the Mummies: There are over 20 ancient mummies on display at the Field Museum in Chicago, none of which have reportedly come back to life. So far, anyways ...
- Don't Skip the Sea Exhibits: With massive whales hanging from the ceiling and dozens of deep sea fish on display, this must-see exhibition at the Field Museum in Chicago will have you thinking twice about jumping in the ocean.